Tuesday 5 September 2017

Mixing with the best

We had a particularly fine session at Weaving Words yesterday. Whether it was because we were all feeling refreshed after our summer break or were celebrating the start of a new term I couldn't say, but the ideas were flowing and the energy high.

One of the many things we discussed was the benefits of associating with other writers and artists. There's something about mixing with creative souls that brings out the best in us, so if you want to write, hang out with writers; if you want to sing, hang out with singers; if you want to paint - well, you get the idea. I'm not talking about gatecrashing preview nights or making a nuisance of yourself outside the stage door, but I'm convinced that my increased writing output over the last year is due in no small part to the connection I have made with Kezzabelle and the other Word Weavers. 

I don't know if we pick up creative thoughts by osmosis or energy transfer, but I am quite sure that there is nothing like a session with writers, musicians, actors and so on to set my senses tingling and my pen twitching. It goes without saying that you must never pinch another person's ideas, but an image or a snatch of conversation can be the catalyst for something wonderful.

As always, I'd welcome your comments.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds great, Julia. Completely agree about mixing with other creatives - that's why I get involved with a writing group and attend the Scottish Association of Writers annual conference. Also going to the first one the Society of Authors is holding in Scotland in a couple of weeks - I always come home inspired (and shattered!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm busily booking places at events and workshops, Rosemary. It's always a good day out.

      Delete
  2. I do love to meet up with other writers, but I've never belonged to a writing group (except an online one) or been to a conference. I do enjoy hearing about the conference experience of others though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a late joiner to my writing group, Teresa, but now it's one of the highlights of my week.

      Delete
  3. Meeting up with other writers is my favourite thing 😀

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Teresa, I have never belonged to a writing group except online where I truly served my time well. Hanging out with writers led to a three week lone trip to California for me which was amazing. Writing osmosis - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do think creativity can be catching, Debbie, and if we have some fun along the way, well, so much the better. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

      Delete